From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kde 5 and portable media mounting
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2016 03:13:10
1 Francisco Ares wrote:
4 > 2016-04-16 14:52 GMT-03:00 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com
5 > <mailto:rdalek1967@×××××.com>>:
6 >
7 > Francisco Ares wrote:
8 > > Hi, All.
9 > >
10 > > After some issues (some not yet solved, but on the way...), there is
11 > > one pretty annoying: regular users have to provide root password in
12 > > order to mount a flash drive, for instance.
13 > >
14 > > Am I missing something? Found some posts on the net, but none has
15 > > given enough light on the subject.
16 > >
17 > > Thank you,
18 > > Francisco
21 > I just plugged a couple sticks into mine. It didn't even
22 > recognize one
23 > and the other gave me a permission error. It says I am not authorized
24 > to mount the device. So, same problem as you. As someone else
25 > posted,
26 > I suspect this is a problem with a group setting. The only new
27 > group I
28 > have listed is sddm which is the display manager. Surely that
29 > wouldn't
30 > have anything to do with this. I might add, my camera works. I have
31 > uploaded some pics just yesterday. Could this be device specific?
32 > Also, my phone is recognized as well. It seems only USB sticks are
33 > affected here.
34 >
35 > Dale
36 >
37 > :-) :-)
41 > On KDE 4, it was ok, it mounted removable media in
42 > /run/[username]/[medialabel] , as the users were already in "plugdev"
43 > group and, just in case, the "disk" group as well - and they are there
44 > up to now.
45 >
46 > Talking about "plugdev" could it be that removing parts of KDE4 in
47 > order to replace them with parts of KDE5 removed any udev rules?
48 >
49 > Going to look into this.
50 >
51 > Thanks!
52 > Francisco
55 Since the only new group I have is sddm, I wouldn't think it was a group
56 but it acts like it. A change in udev would sound more likely given
57 that my camera and phone works just fine. You may have came up with a
58 good place to look into.
59
60 It worked before the plasma switch here too. This is a recent change.
61 I don't recall a eudev upgrade here tho. Logs don't show it either.
62
63 Thu Oct 22 02:45:38 2015 >>> sys-fs/eudev-3.1.5
64 merge time: 1 minute and 2 seconds.
65
66 Tue Apr 12 21:25:29 2016 >>> sys-fs/eudev-3.1.5
67 merge time: 2 minutes and 12 seconds.
70 That last one was just a rebuild from when I did my emerge -e world the
71 other day. Before that was months ago. Still, something changed
72 somewhere.
73
74 Dale
75