From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Consolekit and elogind switch questions
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2019 19:36:02
1 Mick wrote:
2 > On Sunday, 3 November 2019 06:08:15 GMT Dale wrote:
3 >> Mick wrote:
4 >>> On Monday, 28 October 2019 08:25:06 GMT Neil Bothwick wrote:
5 >>>> On Mon, 28 Oct 2019 02:46:45 -0500, Dale wrote:
6 >>>>> Thanks much for the info. Maybe the switch will go well for me too.
7 >>>> If it works for you it will be good news for the rest of us ;-)
8 >>> If hald's list of devices has anything to do with it, Dale is bound to
9 >>> nail it on the first (re)boot! :-)
10 >>>
11 >>> The consolekit framework is responsible switching between users on a
12 >>> system. As I understand it, when you go to 'Plasma/Leave/Switch User'
13 >>> menu option, console kit daemon is responsible for:
14 >>>
15 >>> 1. Looking at PAM and any processes you own as a user in a login session.
16 >>> 2. Checking which seat (local or remote) you are logged in as and
17 >>> associating the hardware you are using with it (e.g. keyboard, mouse,
18 >>> monitor, etc.). 3. Connecting to the d-bus system bus to manage the local
19 >>> login session and pass control of hardware devices to the new user.
20 >>> 4. When the new user enters their credentials at the Display Manager,
21 >>> check
22 >>> with PAM what processes the new user is authorised to access/use in their
23 >>> login session.
24 >>>
25 >>> I should have the above mostly correct. You may ask if any of this
26 >>> control
27 >>> framework complexity is *necessary* for a single user called Dale, who
28 >>> won't allow anyone else to take his 'seat' at the PC without a fight.
29 >>> The answer is probably no, and this is why simpler desktop environments
30 >>> like *box, Enlightenment, etc. do not offer the facility to switch users
31 >>> and therefore do not ultimately need consolekit.
32 >>>
33 >>> There are no screenshots of consolekit/elogind because AFAIK neither offer
34 >>> a GUI application. However, when you run 'ck-list-sessions' in a
35 >>> terminal you'll see your local session, as well as any other login
36 >>> sessions you may be running at the time, e.g. /dev/tt1, remote logins
37 >>> over ssh and which of these are active at the time.
38 >>>
39 >>> Since consolekit is no longer under development and systemd appears to
40 >>> have
41 >>> taken over most of the Linux distros, elogind is the current service which
42 >>> can run as stand alone on openrc (just as udev of systemd does).
43 >>>
44 >>> When elogind is running you can use 'loginctl list-sessions' in a terminal
45 >>> to see who's running a session. The man page gives more options.
46 >>>
47 >>> You don't *have* to add elogind as a boot service, because any
48 >>> applications
49 >>> which need it will launch it themselves. However, don't be surprised if
50 >>> some desktop functions are not working as expected. For example, the
51 >>> SDDM Display Manager's shutdown/reboot buttons may not be displayed and
52 >>> even if they are displayed they'll do nothing when you click on them
53 >>> after a reboot. If after a reboot you login/out into your Plasma
54 >>> desktop, then elogind will be running and the SDDM buttons should
55 >>> function again normally.
56 >>>
57 >>> I have converted a number of systems to elogind. It should be as easy as
58 >>> setting in your make.conf:
59 >>>
60 >>> USE="elogind -consolekit"
61 >>>
62 >>> grep consolekit -r /etc/portage
63 >>>
64 >>> to find and remove/replace any USE flags still asking for consolekit to be
65 >>> emerged. Then,
66 >>>
67 >>> emerge --depclean -v -a consolekit
68 >>>
69 >>> emerge -uaNDv @world
70 >>>
71 >>> emerge @preserved-rebuild -v -a
72 >>>
73 >>> rc-update del consolekit
74 >>> rc-update add elogind boot
75 >>>
76 >>> reboot
77 >>>
78 >>> >From memory that's all there is to it.
79 >> One quick question, is a reboot necessary or would going to single and
80 >> back be enough? I hate rebooting because I've had a init thingy fail a
81 >> couple times in the past. Makes me nervous and my blood pressure go up
82 >> as well. Reminds me a little of hal. :/
83 >>
84 >> I'm thinking about going ahead and doing this but may sync again first,
85 >> just to be sure the tree is up to date enough. I did a -p on it and it
86 >> doesn't look like to much changes, mostly USE flags.
87 >>
88 >> Thanks.
89 >>
90 >> Dale
91 >>
92 >> :-) :-)
93 > I forgot, you should stop the consolekit service before you remove/delete it
94 > and do this *after* you have logged out.
95 >
96 > Since consolekit/elogind are services dealing with desktop user access, you
97 > should at least log out, stop consolekit, start elogind and then log back into
98 > your KDE/Plasma desktop. Rebooting is not necessary, although I tend to
99 > reboot just to check boot services (re)start as they should and there are no
100 > errors/clashes.
103 OK, thanks much.  Since it is a service, I thought a reboot may not be
104 required but wanted to be sure.  The extra information did help me with
105 what I thought would be required, like stopping consolekit first.  That
106 hadn't occurred to me.
107
108 Dale
109