From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Consolekit and elogind switch questions
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2019 09:21:59
1 On Sunday, 3 November 2019 06:08:15 GMT Dale wrote:
2 > Mick wrote:
3 > > On Monday, 28 October 2019 08:25:06 GMT Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 > >> On Mon, 28 Oct 2019 02:46:45 -0500, Dale wrote:
5 > >>> Thanks much for the info. Maybe the switch will go well for me too.
6 > >>
7 > >> If it works for you it will be good news for the rest of us ;-)
8 > >
9 > > If hald's list of devices has anything to do with it, Dale is bound to
10 > > nail it on the first (re)boot! :-)
11 > >
12 > > The consolekit framework is responsible switching between users on a
13 > > system. As I understand it, when you go to 'Plasma/Leave/Switch User'
14 > > menu option, console kit daemon is responsible for:
15 > >
16 > > 1. Looking at PAM and any processes you own as a user in a login session.
17 > > 2. Checking which seat (local or remote) you are logged in as and
18 > > associating the hardware you are using with it (e.g. keyboard, mouse,
19 > > monitor, etc.). 3. Connecting to the d-bus system bus to manage the local
20 > > login session and pass control of hardware devices to the new user.
21 > > 4. When the new user enters their credentials at the Display Manager,
22 > > check
23 > > with PAM what processes the new user is authorised to access/use in their
24 > > login session.
25 > >
26 > > I should have the above mostly correct. You may ask if any of this
27 > > control
28 > > framework complexity is *necessary* for a single user called Dale, who
29 > > won't allow anyone else to take his 'seat' at the PC without a fight.
30 > > The answer is probably no, and this is why simpler desktop environments
31 > > like *box, Enlightenment, etc. do not offer the facility to switch users
32 > > and therefore do not ultimately need consolekit.
33 > >
34 > > There are no screenshots of consolekit/elogind because AFAIK neither offer
35 > > a GUI application. However, when you run 'ck-list-sessions' in a
36 > > terminal you'll see your local session, as well as any other login
37 > > sessions you may be running at the time, e.g. /dev/tt1, remote logins
38 > > over ssh and which of these are active at the time.
39 > >
40 > > Since consolekit is no longer under development and systemd appears to
41 > > have
42 > > taken over most of the Linux distros, elogind is the current service which
43 > > can run as stand alone on openrc (just as udev of systemd does).
44 > >
45 > > When elogind is running you can use 'loginctl list-sessions' in a terminal
46 > > to see who's running a session. The man page gives more options.
47 > >
48 > > You don't *have* to add elogind as a boot service, because any
49 > > applications
50 > > which need it will launch it themselves. However, don't be surprised if
51 > > some desktop functions are not working as expected. For example, the
52 > > SDDM Display Manager's shutdown/reboot buttons may not be displayed and
53 > > even if they are displayed they'll do nothing when you click on them
54 > > after a reboot. If after a reboot you login/out into your Plasma
55 > > desktop, then elogind will be running and the SDDM buttons should
56 > > function again normally.
57 > >
58 > > I have converted a number of systems to elogind. It should be as easy as
59 > > setting in your make.conf:
60 > >
61 > > USE="elogind -consolekit"
62 > >
63 > > grep consolekit -r /etc/portage
64 > >
65 > > to find and remove/replace any USE flags still asking for consolekit to be
66 > > emerged. Then,
67 > >
68 > > emerge --depclean -v -a consolekit
69 > >
70 > > emerge -uaNDv @world
71 > >
72 > > emerge @preserved-rebuild -v -a
73 > >
74 > > rc-update del consolekit
75 > > rc-update add elogind boot
76 > >
77 > > reboot
78 > >
79 > > >From memory that's all there is to it.
80 >
81 > One quick question, is a reboot necessary or would going to single and
82 > back be enough? I hate rebooting because I've had a init thingy fail a
83 > couple times in the past. Makes me nervous and my blood pressure go up
84 > as well. Reminds me a little of hal. :/
85 >
86 > I'm thinking about going ahead and doing this but may sync again first,
87 > just to be sure the tree is up to date enough. I did a -p on it and it
88 > doesn't look like to much changes, mostly USE flags.
89 >
90 > Thanks.
91 >
92 > Dale
93 >
94 > :-) :-)
95
96 I forgot, you should stop the consolekit service before you remove/delete it
97 and do this *after* you have logged out.
98
99 Since consolekit/elogind are services dealing with desktop user access, you
100 should at least log out, stop consolekit, start elogind and then log back into
101 your KDE/Plasma desktop. Rebooting is not necessary, although I tend to
102 reboot just to check boot services (re)start as they should and there are no
103 errors/clashes.
106 Regards,
107
108 Mick