From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Consolekit and elogind switch questions
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2019 06:08:27
1 Mick wrote:
2 > On Monday, 28 October 2019 08:25:06 GMT Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 >> On Mon, 28 Oct 2019 02:46:45 -0500, Dale wrote:
4 >>> Thanks much for the info. Maybe the switch will go well for me too.
5 >> If it works for you it will be good news for the rest of us ;-)
6 > If hald's list of devices has anything to do with it, Dale is bound to nail it
7 > on the first (re)boot! :-)
8 >
9 > The consolekit framework is responsible switching between users on a system.
10 > As I understand it, when you go to 'Plasma/Leave/Switch User' menu option,
11 > console kit daemon is responsible for:
12 >
13 > 1. Looking at PAM and any processes you own as a user in a login session.
14 > 2. Checking which seat (local or remote) you are logged in as and associating
15 > the hardware you are using with it (e.g. keyboard, mouse, monitor, etc.).
16 > 3. Connecting to the d-bus system bus to manage the local login session and
17 > pass control of hardware devices to the new user.
18 > 4. When the new user enters their credentials at the Display Manager, check
19 > with PAM what processes the new user is authorised to access/use in their
20 > login session.
21 >
22 > I should have the above mostly correct. You may ask if any of this control
23 > framework complexity is *necessary* for a single user called Dale, who won't
24 > allow anyone else to take his 'seat' at the PC without a fight. The answer is
25 > probably no, and this is why simpler desktop environments like *box,
26 > Enlightenment, etc. do not offer the facility to switch users and therefore do
27 > not ultimately need consolekit.
28 >
29 > There are no screenshots of consolekit/elogind because AFAIK neither offer a
30 > GUI application. However, when you run 'ck-list-sessions' in a terminal
31 > you'll see your local session, as well as any other login sessions you may be
32 > running at the time, e.g. /dev/tt1, remote logins over ssh and which of these
33 > are active at the time.
34 >
35 > Since consolekit is no longer under development and systemd appears to have
36 > taken over most of the Linux distros, elogind is the current service which can
37 > run as stand alone on openrc (just as udev of systemd does).
38 >
39 > When elogind is running you can use 'loginctl list-sessions' in a terminal to
40 > see who's running a session. The man page gives more options.
41 >
42 > You don't *have* to add elogind as a boot service, because any applications
43 > which need it will launch it themselves. However, don't be surprised if some
44 > desktop functions are not working as expected. For example, the SDDM Display
45 > Manager's shutdown/reboot buttons may not be displayed and even if they are
46 > displayed they'll do nothing when you click on them after a reboot. If after
47 > a reboot you login/out into your Plasma desktop, then elogind will be running
48 > and the SDDM buttons should function again normally.
49 >
50 > I have converted a number of systems to elogind. It should be as easy as
51 > setting in your make.conf:
52 >
53 > USE="elogind -consolekit"
54 >
55 > grep consolekit -r /etc/portage
56 >
57 > to find and remove/replace any USE flags still asking for consolekit to be
58 > emerged. Then,
59 >
60 > emerge --depclean -v -a consolekit
61 >
62 > emerge -uaNDv @world
63 >
64 > emerge @preserved-rebuild -v -a
65 >
66 > rc-update del consolekit
67 > rc-update add elogind boot
68 >
69 > reboot
70 >
71 > >From memory that's all there is to it.
74 One quick question, is a reboot necessary or would going to single and
75 back be enough?  I hate rebooting because I've had a init thingy fail a
76 couple times in the past.  Makes me nervous and my blood pressure go up
77 as well.  Reminds me a little of hal.  :/
78
79 I'm thinking about going ahead and doing this but may sync again first,
80 just to be sure the tree is up to date enough.  I did a -p on it and it
81 doesn't look like to much changes, mostly USE flags.
82
83 Thanks.
84
85 Dale