From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mkfs.btrfs check for bad blocks - howto
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 10:58:57
1 Helmut Jarausch writes:
2
3 > On 10 Jun, J. Roeleveld wrote:
4
5 > > You could either first use mkfs for ext3 or 4 to check, or you could
6 > > run "badblock" manually over the partition first to check.
7 >
8 > Thanks, Joost,
9 >
10 > but I don't know how to feed the output of badblocks to mkbtrfs.
11 > It looks as if btrfs cannot use a bad block list. Is that true?
12
13 Isn't this obsolete nowadays? SMART capable drives should remap bad
14 sectors automatically and replace them by spare sectors. Running badblocks
15 -n might be necessary though in order to make the drive acess every block.
16
17 So I would not trust a drive any more that actually still shows bad
18 blocks.
19
20 Wonko