From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] boot hangs forever at “Loading initial ramdisk...”
Date: Fri, 14 May 2021 08:46:22
1 On Friday, 14 May 2021 00:06:07 BST John Blinka wrote:
2
3 > How does one debug this situation?
4
5 Just coming to this belatedly, not having noticed what may be a connection until now. I
6 have an Asus X99-A motherboard, and I never got grub to work at all. I use a
7 combination of efibootmgr and bootctl to manage my boot process. (Bootctl is in sys-
8 boot/systemd-boot; that's the only systemd package I have on this openrc system.)
9
10 You could look at the handbook [1] for how to set these up. I had to develop my own
11 method by picking bits out of it. I use efibootmgr to create entries in the UEFI BIOS, then
12 bootctl to keep them up to date. Oh, and I had to leave a small, otherwise unused
13 partition before the FAT32 boot partition. From parted:
14
15 Number Start End Size File system Name Flags
16 1 1.00MiB 9.00MiB 8.00MiB
17 2 9.00MiB 1025MiB 1016MiB fat32 boot, esp
18 3 1025MiB 50176MiB 49151MiB linux-swap(v1) swap
19 4 50176MiB 66560MiB 16384MiB ext4
20 5 66560MiB 132096MiB 65536MiB ext4
21 [...]
22 This may be a red herring of course; I wouldn't be too surprised if I'm doing things all
23 wrong, and your motherboard may differ from mine in many ways.
26 1. https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/Bootloader[1]
30 Regards,
31 Peter.
35 [1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/Bootloader