From: John Blinka <john.blinka@×××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] boot hangs forever at “Loading initial ramdisk...”
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 23:06:25
12 And there it stops forever.
13
14 The kernel is the latest stable gentoo-sources. I normally do a custom
15 configuration, but in this instance built it with “genkernel all”, using
16 whatever config genkernel produces. I use grub (grub2), and installed the
17 kernel and initrd with “grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg”, as I
18 normally do.
19
20 Googling around shows that this problem tends to occur when grub can’t find
21 the initrd.
22
23 So I looked at the grub boot script by pressing “e” just before the boot
24 starts to make sure that grub is looking in the right place for the kernel
25 and for the initrd. I think it is, since deliberately misspelling either
26 file name with the grub editor causes error messages saying grub can’t find
27 what I told it to look for. And those error messages do not occur with the
28 boot script that grub generated.
29
30 Normally, loading the initrd takes only a few seconds.
31
32 How does one debug this situation?
33
34 John