From: 7v5w7go9ub0o <7v5w7go9ub0o@×××××.com>
To: for list <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: libvdpau (?)
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 01:48:16
1 On 03/26/10 17:08, Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 10:18 AM,
3 > 7v5w7go9ub0o<7v5w7go9ub0o@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> I'd like to compile ffmpeg with vdpau - direct NVidia hardware
5 >> acceleration. This is a configuration flag for ffmpeg.
6 >>
7 >> Setting the "vdpau" use flag seems to set the configuration flag,
8 >> but also brings in the "x11-libs/libvdpau" libraries which I think
9 >> I do not want, as my NVidia proprietary driver provides these
10 >> libraries.
11 >
12 > AFAIK Nvidia split the vdpau off into libvdpau late last year
13 > sometime. On my system I use both nvidia-drivers and libvdpau without
14 > issue. libvdpau provides libvdpau.so while nvidia-drivers provides
15 > libvdpau_nvidia.so
16 >
17 > Here are my versions:
18 >
19 > x11-libs/libvdpau-0.3-r2 x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-195.36.15
20 >
21 > Are you using older versions? I use ~amd64 so maybe if you run stable
22 > it has the older versions.
26 AHA! THANKS! that explains a lot - including why they made libvdpau
27 ebuild a requirement for ffmpeg.
28
29 I didn't know that libvdpau ebuild is simply an open-source version of
30 libvdpau.so. (The webpage describes a "wrapper" - duh, what's a wrapper?
31 But I suppose that if libvdpau.so is the first in line, and subsequently
32 loads other "driver" components, then it could be called a wrapper).
33
34 Portage fell behind the NVidia driver releases a while back - probably
35 before the split you described - so I then started installing drivers
36 directly from NVidia.com, and not portage.
37
38 (And NVidia continues to bundle libvdpau.so (proprietary?) along with the
39 other components.)
40
41 So when ffmpeg wanted to add a "wrapper" to the mix, I decided no thanks
42 and started this thread - finally figuring out that I needed to remove
43 the requirement from the ebuild. Having libvdpau.so, everything worked fine.
44
45 Now that I know what it is, I've installed the libvdpau package and
46 updated the portage NV drivers to current. If portage keeps current I'll
47 use it; if portage again falls behind I should be able to use NVidia.com and
48 ffmpeg will compile either way.
49
50 Thanks again for your help.