From: Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Summer laptop overheat
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 20:55:05
1 James Ausmus wrote:
2 > On 7/24/07, Marko Kocić <marko.kocic@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Hi,
4 >>
5 >> during this summer when temperatures are high, I noticed that my
6 >> laptop often (almost always) overheat when I try to emerge some
7 >> larger package (gcc, glibc, kernel, ...)
8 >>
9 >> This started happening some time ago, but was bearable until now. Now
10 >> I can't compile almost anything, my laptop just switch off.
11 >
12 > Try cleaning out the laptop vents with a can of compressed air - if
13 > you're beyond warranty (or it won't void your warranty), then open up
14 > all the covers on your laptop that you can, and get all the
15 > dirt/dust/lint blown out that you can.
16 >
17 > HTH-
18 >
19 > James
20 > �éí˘�Źz¸�Ú(˘¸&j)b� bst==
21
22 Be careful when blowing on the fans though. I have been known to mess
23 up the bearings in fans when blowing compressed air on them. The way I
24 usually take care of this is to put something like a toothpick in the
25 fan to keep it from turning. That said, I use a air compressor instead
26 of a can of air but still be careful and make sure the fans are running
27 OK after you are done.
28
29 Also, they do make those little things you can put on the bottom that
30 will blow air across the bottom of the laptop. That helps too. They
31 are not to expensive and they seem to plug into the USB port for power
32 nowadays.
33
34 Dale
35