From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Module and kernel woes after two "emerge -DuNe @world"s
Date: Sun, 09 Jun 2019 17:55:45
1 On 6/9/19 2:56 AM, Mick wrote:
2 > This sounds as if it may be related to a move from an older gcc to
3 > a newer version.
4
5 I'm not sure it's related to a gcc version:
6
7 # gcc-config -l
8 [1] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-6.4.0 *
9 [2] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-8.3.0
10
11 I think that gcc 8.3 might have been selected and I reverted to 6.4
12 thinking that it might have been part of the problem. I have since done
13 an emerge -DuNeq @world with gcc 6.4 and the problem persists.
14
15 > Checking my understanding:
16 >
17 > 1. The old modules, compiled with the old gcc and toolchain worked
18 > fine.
19
20 Correct.
21
22 > 2. The new modules, compiled with the new gcc but old libtool,
23 > binutils and glibc worked (usually you update these or @system,
24 > before you update the whole world).
25
26 Correct.
27
28 > 3. The new modules, compiled with the new gcc and toolchain rebuilt
29 > the second time do not work (this would use libtools, binutils, glibc,
30 > now compiled with the new gcc).
31
32 Correct.
33
34 > 4. All of the above happens with the old kernel, which was not rebuilt
35 > with the new toolchain.
36
37 Correct.
38
39 > 5. New kernel(s) compiled thereafter will not boot.
40
41 Correct.
42
43 > You have not mentioned if you upgraded gcc.
44
45 I think that the first emerge -DuNeq @world did pull in a new gcc. But
46 I have since selected gcc 6.4 as part of diagnostics. (See above.)
47
48 > The error you get about modules failing to load sounds like a
49 > path/symlink error, or a linux headers error, or a change of arch.
50
51 I don't think it's a symlink error. (I've configured things to not
52 automatically update the sym-link.)
53
54 # ls -la /usr/src/linux
55 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 Sep 8 2018 /usr/src/linux ->
56 linux-4.9.76-gentoo-r1/
57 # uname -a
58 Linux REDACTED 4.9.76-gentoo-r1 #1 SMP Thu Nov 15 22:23:44 MST 2018
59 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
60
61 As you can see, the machine has enough CPU that I can let it do the
62 following to make sure that things are consistent. (At least I think
63 that's what's happening.)
64
65 emerge -DuNeq @world && emerge --depclean && revdep-rebuild
66
67 That's my SOP. If that fails I usually try a --resume to see if the
68 problem repeats, and if it's at the same place. If that fails for some
69 reason, I'll fall back to a @system. Usually the failure is caused by
70 something that I've done, disk space, ZFS version issues, etc.
71
72 > Since both vbox and zfs modules fail to boot I would not think this
73 > is a zfs isolated problem.
74
75 Agreed.
76
77 > Have you tried forcing the loading of these modules?
78 >
79 > modprobe --force --verbose <module_name>
80
81 No, not yet. I've never had any success forcing the kernel to load modules.
82
83 > What errors do you get with the new non-booting kernels?
84
85 # modprobe --force --verbose vboxdrv
86 insmod /lib/modules/4.9.76-gentoo-r1/misc/vboxdrv.ko
87 modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'vboxdrv': Exec format error
88
89 dmesg reports the following for each attempt to (force) load the module.
90
91 module: vboxdrv: Unknown rela relocation: 4
92
93 Mick I get the impression that you've got the correct understanding of
94 my current situation. I'm interested learn what you think should be done.