From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Module and kernel woes after two "emerge -DuNe @world"s
Date: Sun, 09 Jun 2019 08:56:13
1 On Saturday, 8 June 2019 20:45:45 BST Grant Taylor wrote:
2 > On 6/8/19 12:26 PM, Mick wrote:
3 > > Were these contents not there, or is it that the new version of
4 > > modules do not work?
5 >
6 > The old (original for the sake of this thread) versions (restored from
7 > backups) work just fine.
8 >
9 > The version produced during the first emerge -DuNe @world worked. At
10 > least I'm not aware of any problems.
11 >
12 > The version produced during the second emerge -DuNe @world did not work.
13
14 This sounds as if it may be related to a move from an older gcc to a newer
15 version. Checking my understanding:
16
17 1. The old modules, compiled with the old gcc and toolchain worked fine.
18 2. The new modules, compiled with the new gcc but old libtool, binutils and
19 glibc worked (usually you update these or @system, before you update the whole
20 world).
21 3. The new modules, compiled with the new gcc and toolchain rebuilt the second
22 time do not work (this would use libtools, binutils, glibc, now compiled with
23 the new gcc).
24 4. All of the above happens with the old kernel, which was not rebuilt with
25 the new toolchain.
26 5. New kernel(s) compiled thereafter will not boot.
27
28 You have not mentioned if you upgraded gcc.
29
30 The error you get about modules failing to load sounds like a path/symlink
31 error, or a linux headers error, or a change of arch. Since both vbox and zfs
32 modules fail to boot I would not think this is a zfs isolated problem.
33
34 Have you tried forcing the loading of these modules?
35
36 modprobe --force --verbose <module_name>
37
38 What errors do you get with the new non-booting kernels?
41 Regards,
42 Mick