From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Something started muting the sound
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2017 13:24:51
1 On Sat, 12 Aug 2017 11:43:24 -0700 Ian Zimmerman wrote:
2 > On 2017-08-12 13:21, John Covici wrote:
3 >
4 > > How about checking the various volumes rather than muting maybe some
5 > > of them are 0 or rather some negative number or something? Also, you
6 > > might delete the asound.state and let the system start over. Last
7 > > resort, there is an alsa users mailing list.
8 > >
9 > > One other thought, get pulse audio out of the way and see if alsa is
10 > > working.
11 >
12 > To clarify: it works for me (TM), I don't need a solution. I am just
13 > curious because I don't heed the warning and it still works.
14
15 The warning is about old days when alsa init script loaded required
16 kernel modules for your audio to work. These days kernel does the
17 job well and it can autoload modules based on device IDs. So loading
18 modules by alsa init script is no longer needed in general case and
19 was removed.
20
21 The warning is here is for the people with special setups (e.g. out
22 of the tree modules) updating from very old systems.
23
24 Best regards,
25 Andrew Savchenko