From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Heads up: Your system might be broken and/or insecure due to serious patch-2.6 bug
Date: Sat, 05 Dec 2009 14:10:50
1 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 > On Samstag 05 Dezember 2009, Philip Webb wrote:
5 >> Also, I never do a bald 'emerge world'. I look thro' the output of
6 >> 'eix-sync', write -- with a pencil+paper -- a list of installed pkgs which
7 >> have changed, run 'emerge -Dup world' to see what order of emerging is
8 >> recommended, then individually 'emerge -pv <pkg>' & -- if all looks well
9 >> -- 'emerge <pkg>'. Yes, it takes a bit longer for my weekly update session
10 >> (tomorrow Sat), but I don't risk the nightmare of reducing my system to
11 >> chaos
12 >> with all the extra frantic labor which would result.
15 > which f*cks up world and is a very bad idea. Really, emmerging every single
16 > package? 'world' is useless for you and cleaning unused deps a nightmare.
17 >
18 > Congratulation, you crippled your system.
19 >
20 > The easy way to avoid problems are BINPKGs. Use it and a downgrade in case of
21 > problems only takes seconds.
24 Good catch Volker. I didn't notice that part. He needs to become very
25 familiar with the -1 option but even that is not good in every case. If
26 it is a package that needs to be in world, then that option shouldn't be
27 used either otherwise a --depclean would remove it.
28
29 Dale
30