From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Heads up: Your system might be broken and/or insecure due to serious patch-2.6 bug
Date: Sat, 05 Dec 2009 13:32:32
1 On Samstag 05 Dezember 2009, Philip Webb wrote:
4 > Also, I never do a bald 'emerge world'. I look thro' the output of
5 > 'eix-sync', write -- with a pencil+paper -- a list of installed pkgs which
6 > have changed, run 'emerge -Dup world' to see what order of emerging is
7 > recommended, then individually 'emerge -pv <pkg>' & -- if all looks well
8 > -- 'emerge <pkg>'. Yes, it takes a bit longer for my weekly update session
9 > (tomorrow Sat), but I don't risk the nightmare of reducing my system to
10 > chaos
11 > with all the extra frantic labor which would result.
12
13 which f*cks up world and is a very bad idea. Really, emmerging every single
14 package? 'world' is useless for you and cleaning unused deps a nightmare.
15
16 Congratulation, you crippled your system.
17
18 The easy way to avoid problems are BINPKGs. Use it and a downgrade in case of
19 problems only takes seconds.