From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Heads up: Your system might be broken and/or insecure due to serious patch-2.6 bug
Date: Sat, 05 Dec 2009 05:15:48
1 091205 daid kahl wrote:
2 >>  2  pieces of advice to avoid such problems:
3 >> (1) never use the 'testing' versions of system pkgs;
4 >> (2) never run 'emerge world' without the '-p' flag.
5 > I kindly disagree.
6
7 Thanks for the "kindly": I thought I'd walked into a high-school locker room.
8
9 > ~[arch] is testing for Gentoo ebuild. It's considered stable upstream.
10 > This was an upstream bug, not a Gentoo bug.
11
12 Yes, my comments didn't respond exactly to the problem reported,
13 but offered more general advice which might help avoid such problems.
14
15 > someone's got to be testing stuff and filing reports upstream.
16 > It doesn't mean you want to do it, but I really think
17 > considering ~ as a test of upstream is rather silly.
18
19 The defective version of 'patch' had got into 'testing',
20 where the only remaining problems are supposed to be in the ebuild;
21 in fact in this case, there was still a serious problem upstream
22 & that version of 'patch' has been re-masked (I believe).
23
24 Anyway, don't do testing on the machine you use for everyday computing.
25 If you want to get into testing, use a dedicated machine for it.
26
27 It's late Friday, so let me stick my neck out again
28 (grins, sighs & gets another beer out of the fridge).
29
30 At least once/month, if not once/week, someone reports on Gentoo User:
31 "I did an emerge sync, installed the latest blahblah-1.2.3,
32 did 'emerge world' & something dreadful has happened to my system".
33
34 I've been using Gentoo for more than 6 years & it's never happened to me.
35 I believe the reason is that I follow my own advice as above:
36 I do install 'testing' versions of non-vital pkgs (eg 'eix')
37 & items which are well-supported upstream (eg KDE, kernel),
38 but I am very cautious about installing testing versions of system pkgs
39 whose collapse would do real damage to my everyday activities.
40 Even when stuff is well-supported upstream, I give it a few weeks
41 to see if there are reports anywhere of bad things happening.
42
43 Eg I have not moved upto the testing 'eix-0.18.3',
44 because it requires that I replace 'lzma-utils' with 'xz-utils':
45 it's not worth the risk of doing real damage elsewhere
46 simply to get the latest version of 'eix', which is useful but non-essential.
47 When 'xz-utils' reaches 'stable' (and has a less frightening version number),
48 I will happily make the upgrade.
49
50 Also, I never do a bald 'emerge world'. I look thro' the output of 'eix-sync',
51 write -- with a pencil+paper -- a list of installed pkgs which have changed,
52 run 'emerge -Dup world' to see what order of emerging is recommended,
53 then individually 'emerge -pv <pkg>' & -- if all looks well -- 'emerge <pkg>'.
54 Yes, it takes a bit longer for my weekly update session (tomorrow Sat),
55 but I don't risk the nightmare of reducing my system to chaos
56 with all the extra frantic labor which would result.
57
58 Again, I've been doing this for 6 years with Gentoo on 2 machines
59 & haven't run into any major setbacks.
60
61 By all means, ignore my advice & do it your own ways (smile).
65 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
66 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
67 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca