From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Browsers cannot access WWW while ping and host utilities work as expected.
Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2013 19:58:14
1 On Sunday 04 Aug 2013 19:56:08 gevisz wrote:
2 > Trying to migrate from Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, I have installed Gentoo,
3 > profile AMD64 13.0 desktop gnome.
4 >
5 > Everything so far works as expected except for Internet browsers and
6 > GNOME applets that should connect to the Internet.
7 >
8 > More exactly, Internet browsers (I have tried Firefox and Links) can
9 > connect to the WWW if I type the IP address as,
10 > for example, 173.194.71.104 but cannot if I type www.google.com
11 >
12 > And this is strange because the host utility works as expected
13 > (converting www.google.com into 173.194.71.104) just adding the
14 > following "Warning: query response not set."
15
16 Hmm .. wonder if this is something to do with your dns repeater (your lan
17 router) sending malformed packets in response?
20 > The ifconfig utility shows that instead of eth0 I have somewhat
21 > strange enp2s15 but I have played with this and found no difference
22 > after forcing udev to name it eth0.
23
24 This is the new kernel naming scheme of NICs. Which-ever nomenclature you
25 decide to use, check that that's the only one having a symlink in /etc/init.d/
26 to net.lo
27
28 There's been a few threads in this list a couple of months ago or so. You may
29 want to refer to them.
32 > Installing Gentoo, I closely followed the instructions from Gentoo
33 > Linux AMD64 Handbook
34 > (http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?full=1).
35 >
36 > The contents of my /etc/conf.d/net file is like this:
37 > hostname="myhostname"
38 > dns_domain_lo="mynetwork"
39 > config_enp2s15="192.168.0.9 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.0.255"
40 > routes_enp2s15="default via <my_rooter_local_network_IP>"
41 > dns_servers_enp2s15="<my_rooter_local_network_IP>
42 > <my_provider_DNS_server_IP> <another_DNS_server_IP>"
43
44 If you have concluded on using eth0, then change the above entries accordingly
45 and also try leaving only your router's local_network_IP in there. The router
46 should provide you with your ISPs repeaters addresses anyway.
49 > The contents of my /etc/resolv.conf is like this:
50 > nameserver <my_rooter_local_network_IP>
51 > nameserver <my_provider_DNS_server_IP>
52 > nameserver <another_DNS_server_IP>
53 >
54 > The relevant part of /var/log/rc.log is like this:
55 > * Bringing up interface enp2s15
56 > * Skipping module adsl due to missing program: /usr/sbin/adsl-start
57 > /usr/sbin/pppoe-start
58 > * Skipping module br2684ctl due to missing program: br2684ctl
59 > * Skipping module tuntap due to missing program: ip openvpn tunctl
60 > * Skipping module bridge due to missing program: brctl
61 > * Skipping module clip due to missing program: /usr/sbin/atmsigd
62 > * Skipping module ethtool due to missing program: ethtool
63 > * Skipping module macvlan due to missing program: ip
64 > * Skipping module netplugd due to missing program: /sbin/netplugd
65 > * Skipping module ifplugd due to missing program: /usr/sbin/ifplugd
66 > * Skipping module ipppd due to missing program: /usr/sbin/ipppd
67 > * Skipping module iwconfig due to missing program: /sbin/iwconfig
68 > * Skipping module iproute2 due to missing program: ip
69 > * Skipping module firewalld due to missing program: firewall-cmd
70 > * Skipping module pppd due to missing program: /usr/sbin/pppd
71 > * Skipping module vlan due to missing program: ip
72 > * Skipping module dhclient due to missing program: /sbin/dhclient
73 > * Skipping module pump due to missing program: /sbin/pump
74 > * Skipping module ip6rd due to missing program: ip
75 > * Skipping module ip6to4 due to missing program: ip
76 > * Loaded modules: apipa arping bonding ccwgroup macchanger macnet
77
78 You seem to have built a tonne of modules which you probably do not need.
79
80 > wpa_supplicant ssidnet ifconfig system dhcpcd
81 > * Configuring enp2s15 for MAC address <my_ethernet_card_mac_address> ...
82 > [ ok ]
83 > * 192.168.0.9 ...
84 > [ ok ]
85 > * Adding routes
86 > * default via <my_rooter_local_network_IP> ...
87 >
88 > Remark: My router works ok for the Ubuntu installation on the same
89 > computer.
90 >
91 > Networking options of my kernel is as follows:
92 >
93 > CONFIG_PACKET=y
94 > CONFIG_PACKET_DIAG=y
95 > CONFIG_UNIX=y
96 > CONFIG_UNIX_DIAG=y
97 > CONFIG_XFRM=y
98 > CONFIG_XFRM_ALGO=y
99 > CONFIG_XFRM_USER=y
100 > CONFIG_INET=y
101 > CONFIG_INET_TUNNEL=y
102 > CONFIG_INET_LRO=y
103 > CONFIG_INET_DIAG=y
104 > CONFIG_INET_TCP_DIAG=y
105 > CONFIG_INET_UDP_DIAG=y
106 > CONFIG_TCP_CONG_ADVANCED=y
107 > CONFIG_TCP_CONG_CUBIC=y
108 > CONFIG_DEFAULT_CUBIC=y
109 > CONFIG_DEFAULT_TCP_CONG="cubic"
110 > CONFIG_TCP_MD5SIG=y
111 > CONFIG_IPV6=y
112 > CONFIG_INET6_AH=y
113 > CONFIG_INET6_ESP=y
114 > CONFIG_INET6_XFRM_MODE_TRANSPORT=y
115 > CONFIG_INET6_XFRM_MODE_TUNNEL=y
116 > CONFIG_INET6_XFRM_MODE_BEET=y
117 > CONFIG_IPV6_SIT=y
118 > CONFIG_IPV6_NDISC_NODETYPE=y
119 > CONFIG_NETWORK_SECMARK=y
120 > CONFIG_HAVE_NET_DSA=y
121 > CONFIG_DNS_RESOLVER=y
122 > CONFIG_RPS=y
123 > CONFIG_RFS_ACCEL=y
124 > CONFIG_XPS=y
125 > CONFIG_BQL=y
126 >
127 > where all options that are "not set" has been deleted for brevity.
128 >
129 > I have also tried to use dhcpd instead of static IP but it did not help.
130 >
131 > Currently, I have completely exhausted all my creativity trying to
132 > figure out how to make my WWW browsers to work properly. Please, help!
133
134 Can you please show us:
135
136 ip route show