From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo's advantage: 'optimized for your system' -- huh?
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 11:07:18
1 On Donnerstag 05 Februar 2009, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 > > On Donnerstag 05 Februar 2009, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
4 > >> Sebastián Magrí wrote:
5 > >>> The installation experience with the traditional method must be
6 > >>> mandatory... That's why I think we are better now that GLI is
7 > >>> deprecated...
8 > >>
9 > >> That's not good. It hurts Gentoo's popularity if it's not easy to
10 > >> install. But since there are not enough devs left for the GUI
11 > >> installer, not much that can be done.
12 > >>
13 > >> Gentoo isn't unsuitable for a GUI installer. It's stage 3, after all.
14 > >
15 > > gentoo had its highest popularity when there were no gui installer (and
16 > > no stable tree). This kept the stupid ' I don't want to read docs' crowd
17 > > away.
18 >
19 > That's a contradicting statement. How was the popularity at highest if
20 > it kept a crowd away?
21
22 because it kept the 'i am too cool to read the docs' idiots away. Being forced
23 to read the documentation is a good thing - and it did not hurt gentoo's
24 popularity. Only after it started to catering to idiots and more and more of
25 loud mouthed 'I am the centre of the universe, I don't need to read docs, use
26 google or bugzilla. I demand an answer and help NOW' assholes came on board,
27 the popularity went down.