From: James Wall <wallservices@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Managing multiple Gentoo systems
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2011 20:06:38
1 On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 2:03 PM, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >> And now that I look more closely at KVM switches, it looks like they
3 >> provide a method of controlling multiple computers via a single
4 >> keyboard, monitor, and mouse.  I need sort of the inverse.  I'd like
5 >> to control a single Gentoo computer via multiple sets of keyboards,
6 >> monitors, and mice simultaneously.  It would basically be a way to
7 >> have the functionality of multiple workstations but the administration
8 >> hassle of only a single system.  Wireless communication between the
9 >> computer and each keyboard-monitor-mouse would be most convenient, but
10 >> that may not be possible so wired would be fine.  Does something like
11 >> this exist?
12 >>
13 >> - Grant
14 >
15 > Does this fantasy-arrangement of mine exist?  I guess what I'm after
16 > is a series of dumb terminals to connect to a local Gentoo system so I
17 > don't need to manage a series of Gentoo systems.
18 >
19 > - Grant
20
21 Have you considered using PXE to network boot your systems? you can
22 have various configurations set up based on mac addresses to address
23 different hardware issues. I recommend trying out SystemRescueCD to
24 experiment with PXE booting for the client and server.
25 --
26 No trees were harmed in the sending of this message. However, a large
27 number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.