From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Anyone running a gentoo guest on virtualbox?
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2011 04:53:59
1 On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 03:35, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 31 May 2011 21:02:46 Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >> Apparently, though unproven, at 21:27 on Tuesday 31 May 2011, Mick did
4 >> opine
5 >>
6 >> thusly:
7 >> > On Tuesday 31 May 2011 08:07:24 Pandu Poluan wrote:
8 >> > > On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 13:56, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
9
10 ----- 8< ----- massive snippage ----- >8 -----
11
12 >> > > When SpanKY's makedev gets stabilized and pushed to baselayout, I'll
13 >> > > then happily ditch the genkernel cheat for my next VMs :-)
14 >> >
15 >> > Are you sure that manually creating /dev/console and /dev/null isn't all
16 >> > that is required?  The rest of the devices will be created by udev when
17 >> > it runs at boot time.
20 Most probably so. But at that point, I was pressed for time. Had the
21 system need only /dev/{console,null} then all will be well. If not?
22 Then another cycle of LiveCD-mount-mknod-restart.
23
24 Much faster to just `genkernel initramfs` while waiting for the snafus
25 to be fixed
26
27 (Well, that, and I'm lazy)
28
29 >> null and console are the absolute irreducible minimum but there's one that
30 >> can be dispensed with if the correct kernel option is enabled.
31 >>
32 >> We don't need everything that makedev traditionally provided (like every
33 >> block device type known to man, floppys and ancient ptys) but the rest
34 >> number about ~250 and are useful in single-user mode if udev fails to
35 >> start.
36 >>
37 >> Considering that ~250 devices consumes a teeny-weeny bit of disk space and
38 >> they are hidden from view normally, I say it's worth it leaving them in.
39 >> Which is what vapier also says.
40
41 Agree.
42
43 > I see.  In my head it is as if we're going against the udev principle of
44 > populating required device nodes.  If udev does not start, isn't it time to
45 > head for the nearest LiveCD, or must we ensure that every breakage is fixable
46 > in single-user mode?
47
48 There are cases for each, but I personally prefer going single-user.
49 Especially when working on virtualized servers.
50
51 Rgds,
52 --
53 Pandu E Poluan