From: Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Anyone running a gentoo guest on virtualbox?
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2011 08:12:14
1 On Wednesday 01 June 2011 11:52:25 Pandu Poluan wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 03:35, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > On Tuesday 31 May 2011 21:02:46 Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 > > I see. In my head it is as if we're going against the udev principle of
5 > > populating required device nodes. If udev does not start, isn't it time
6 > > to head for the nearest LiveCD, or must we ensure that every breakage
7 > > is fixable in single-user mode?
8 >
9 > There are cases for each, but I personally prefer going single-user.
10 > Especially when working on virtualized servers.
11
12 +1
13 Even though with virtualized servers, using Xen, it's possible to access the
14 filesystem easily from the host.
15
16 I do prefer to have the option for a single-usermode to fix things as I tend to
17 disconnect CD-drives in servers to keep the CD-drives from killing themselves
18 by being powered non-stop.
21 Joost