From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USE="custom-optimization"
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 21:35:55
1 Albert Hopkins schrieb:
2 > On Thu, 2009-05-21 at 12:30 +0200, Florian Philipp wrote:
3 >> Hi list!
4 >>
5 >> I'm wondering how to interpret the custom-optimization use flag which
6 >> has become much more common in the recent weeks/months.
7 >>
8 >> I mean, I understand the basic concept: it either uses the cflags from
9 >> my make.conf or its own set. But what exactly does the dev want to tell
10 >> me when she uses this flag and sets it to default off?
11 >
12 > [...]
13 >
14 > I'm not sure how you mean "much more common" as of the over 700 packages
15 > I have installed only 1 offers that flag, but...
18 Well, "much more common" might be an exaggeration and I've also mixed
19 custom-optimization (firefox and xulrunner) with custom-cflags (grub,
20 ffmpeg and libsdl).
23 > The package is sensitive to CFLAGS. There is a set of flags that the
24 > devs will support. For convenience, they have given you the option of
25 > choosing your own, but if you do then you're on your own :)
28 So it's really just a support-thing, nothing like "we know better"?
29 Thanks. In this case, I will use my own flags again.