From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Phonon + PulseAudio Problem
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 06:16:55
1 On Thursday 20 May 2010 10:40:33 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 05/20/2010 11:15 AM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > On Wednesday 19 May 2010 23:56:39 walt wrote:
6 [snip]
7
8 > >> Well, since I'm first to answer I get to inject my prejudices first :)
9 > >>
10 > >> I think pulse is a very long answer to a very short question and so I
11 > >> did away with it months ago. And I haven't regretted it.
12 > >>
13 > >> Truly, I think very few people need pulse outside of professionals who
14 > >> work in film or music. The main reason others have disagreed with my
15 > >> opinion is because your silly desktop sounds like beeps and boings and
16 > >> toilets flushing interrupt the CD you're listening to. Uh, well, yeah,
17 > >> one sound generally interrupts another, true. So what?
18 > >>
19 > >> I'll bet your audio would do what you expect it to do if you just
20 > >> removed every trace of pulse from your machine and run revdep-rebuild
21 > >> with the pulse, arts, and esd useflags disabled (if those flags still
22 > >> exist).
23 > >>
24 > >> Contrary opinions will follow shortly ;)
25 > >
26 > > No, I don't think they will :-)
27 >
28 > Well, here is one :P
29 >
30 > "Uh, well, yeah, one sound generally interrupts another, true."
31 >
32 > That is not true. ALSA (most people use that one) has dmix, which mixes
33 > all sounds from all applications together. You don't need PulseAudio
34 > for that.
35
36 PulseAudio does indeed have it's uses. Some folks really do want fine-grained
37 control over each daemon using the sound system, but those folks are not the
38 set of average users.
39
40 Feature-wise, ALSA pretty much does everything the *average* user wants, and
41 that user does not really want to schlepp sound over the network or tweak
42 every individual thing making noises.
43
44 Now ALSA may or may not have good-quality code in it but that's another
45 matter. We are discussing features.
46
47 Like an earlier poster suggested, PulseAudio looks like a hammer in search of
48 a nail.
51 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com