From: Billy Holmes <billy@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Dropping harddrives (WAS Which filesystem for a notebook?)
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 15:55:28
1 Christian Parpart wrote:
2 > However, I once have (accidently!) thrown down one harddrive of mine from
3 > within 60cm distance down while moving to a new tower/rac; I were nearly
4
5 many moons ago, I had a 300 meg IDE drive that I bought for a dollar -
6 and this was when drives sold for about a buck a megabyte. A lady
7 brought in her computer with a broken harddrive. It would not spin up,
8 but after I accidently dropped it on the table, it started working. We
9 replaced her HD, and I asked the owner if I could buy the broken HD for
10 a dollar.
11
12 I stuck it in my BBS machine at the time, and it lasted 2 years for me.
13 It would work great so long as I did not power down the machine, then I
14 had to tap the harddrive, or bang it with a pen while it was trying to
15 power up. One day the power went out, and when it came back on, the HD
16 would not spin up despite my "tender care" - it had died. I knew that
17 day would come, so I had current backups.
18
19 They just don't make them like they used to :)
20 --
21 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list