From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [SOLVED] eselect-opengl Blockage (with a capital "B") problem
Date: Wed, 20 May 2020 12:47:55
1 On Wednesday, May 20, 2020 2:10:14 PM CEST Dale wrote:
2 > Victor Ivanov wrote:
3 > > When the lbglvnd flag was introduced I remember I solved this issue by:
4 > > # emerge --unmerge eselect-opengl
5 > > # emerge -1qv mesa
6 > >
7 > > After that, a simple update of @world rebuilt everything else on its own.
8 > >
9 > > Personally, I had been waiting for libglvnd support for _a long time_.
10 > > This - and I mean GLVND in general - is something that should have come
11 > > to Linux many years ago, along with NVIDIAs PRIME render offloading.
12 > >
13 > > 10y ago I used to have an Optimus laptop with an Nvidia GPU and it was
14 > > an absolute hell to get it running, I remember writing tonnes of scripts
15 > > using VirtualGL and a dummy X server running on the Nvidia GPU. This was
16 > > before bumblebee.
17 > >
18 > > Today, I still need this with an external GPU.
19 > >
20 > > But now it takes 1 environment variable to offload to the other GPU!
21 > > GLVND literally made my Linux work experience a million times better.
22 > > I'm extatic.
23 > >
24 > > - V
25 >
26 > My change went quite well here. I removed the flag entry everywhere and
27 > then did a emerge world, with the correct options of course. I then
28 > logged out, went to boot runlevel, reloaded the video drivers, went back
29 > to default and logged in. I can't tell any difference here video wise
30 > tho.
31 >
32 > I did notice that my sddm problem is worse now. It's worse now than it
33 > was when it first started. In just a few hours it is consuming over
34 > 4GBs of memory. That is ridiculous to me. It using more than Firefox,
35 > both profiles, and any other software I have running. I'm thinking
36 > about looking for a alternative to sddm. I switched to it a while back
37 > but I don't like this memory hungry thing behaving this way.
38
39 I missed the whole thing you are having with sddm, I just checked it on my
40 laptop and not seeing anything like that.
41 Will reply further in the sddm-thread if I have any ideas.
44 Joost