From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo video camera security system
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 13:40:15
1 >> but I think
2 >> that will limit me to USB and it's 15-foot cable maximum?
3 >
4 > A friend of a friend set up a security system in his house, using USB
5 > cameras, and ran it more than 15 foot! Apparently, you can use a USB-cat5
6 > converter (not ip based, so you can't route it, just uses the twisted pairs)
7 > and get even further. cat5 is cheap too. I suggest you experiment (or find
8 > someone else who has) and see how far they ran their cable.
9
10 I think USB cameras would be the way to go. Does anyone know of a USB
11 camera that works well with Gentoo?
12
13 Also thanks to James for the h.264 tip. That's the kind of thing you
14 don't figure out until you're already deep into zoneminder.
15
16 - Grant