From: subscribed lists <subscribedlists@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: about the 2007.1
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2007 16:25:07
1 >> Why not? Gentoo is aimed at more experienced users, Linux novices are
2 >> already amply catered for by other distros. I would never recommend
3 >> Gentoo to a new Linux user, in the same way that I wouldn't recommend
4 >> a Ferrari to a learner driver.
8 I don't necessarily agree. I've recommended Gentoo to a few first time (or
9 relatively new) Linux users. The key is whether somebody is willing to
10 spend the time, read, and understand what's going on under the hood. For
11 people who are looking for something to "just work", I wouldn't recommend it
12 as Gentoo could turn them off from Linux altogether. However, for people
13 who like to get their hands dirty, and who don't mind reading, and don't
14 mind doing things by hand, I think it's a great learning experience.
15
16 If you install Ubuntu, you're probably not going to know what xdm/gdm is.
17 You're definitely not going to know how to compile your own kernel. And
18 grub is probably just going to be that screen that shows up for 5 seconds as
19 the computer starts up. Now, when something goes wrong, you're not going to
20 know where to start. After doing a Gentoo install, IMO you get a much
21 better feeling of the inner components.
22
23 But, again, I wouldn't recommend it to everyone, but I do think there are
24 some first time Linux users who it would be right for.