From: Eric Martin <freak4uxxx@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: about the 2007.1
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2007 13:10:53
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 »Q« wrote:
5 > Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
6 >
7 >> On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 13:05:18 +0000, Guanqun Lu wrote:
8 >>
9 >>> We can't expect that all the Gentoo users should be a linux geek
10 >>> first, and then have a try on Gentoo linux sytem.
11 >> Why not? Gentoo is aimed at more experienced users, Linux novices are
12 >> already amply catered for by other distros. I would never recommend
13 >> Gentoo to a new Linux user, in the same way that I wouldn't recommend
14 >> a Ferrari to a learner driver.
15 I don't know about some people here, but I don't care if Gentoo is
16 'popular'. I didn't care if I was popular in school, and I don't care
17 about it now. GNU/Linux isn't 'popular', Micro$oft is. One of the
18 greatest strengths of the FOSS movement is choices. Gentoo offers
19 people a choice to get their hands dirty, and customize the heck out
20 of everything they want. I threw Ubuntu on a laptop so I can test
21 drive it (I'm suggesting it to family / friends / clients as a windows
22 replacement) but I can't get luks to work on it currently. I went to
23 check /proc/config.gz to see if some stuff was enabled, there wasn't
24 /proc/config.gz. It took me 3 minutes to do on my Gentoo box because
25 I've made every decision on that machine.
26 >
27 > I was a Linux newbie when I installed Gentoo; it was the first distro
28 > I installed. It was recommended to me by a friend who said if I wanted
29 > to learn a lot as I installed it and set it up, Gentoo was a good
30 > idea. I now recommend it to newbies on the same basis. But it's only
31 > useful to them in this way /without/ the graphical installer.
34 Here here! I came from Red Hat 7.3, and I didn't even know how to
35 compile a kernel. My first try at Gentoo was 1.2_rc4 on a laptop that
36 had weird memory / pcmcia issues. My buddy suggested it to me because
37 he thought I'd like it. I learned *SO* much about GNU/Linux through
38 that experience and I'm still learning a lot. The problem with a
39 graphical installer is you're basically on a buggie ride through the
40 jungle. As long as you stay on the beaten path; you feel amazing
41 because you're seeing all of this stuff in the jungle. The moment you
42 jump off the beaten path you're amazingly ill-equipped to be in the
43 jungle. Might as well let people know what they're in for rather than
44 putting on heirs.
45 >> Anyway, you need to use other distros first to truly appreciate
46 >> Gentoo :)
47 >
48 > Ain't that the truth.
49 >
50 Yep! With the exception of some people on this list, most people I
51 know who tried out Gentoo (and don't mind getting their hands dirty)
52 won't go to anything else. Yum is ok, apt-get is kinda odd to me, but
53 emerge makes sense. Also, you're {generally} not maintaining two
54 systems (the binary one they give you and your source compiled system}.
65 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list