From: Wol <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Wayland assorted problems IDENTIFIED
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2021 14:04:31
1 On 20/11/2021 19:59, Wol wrote:
2
3 > Okay, I rebooted the system, and tried to start Wayland. The first log
4 > is the output of my first attempt. This hung and I had to kill it.
5 > Actually, it was worse than that, <ctrl><alt><f2> caused the video
6 > driver or somesuch to crash - I ended up with a scrambled display, and
7 > had to ssh in and reboot ...
8 >
9 > I then googled, and because it said DISPLAY is not set, I tried setting
10 > it to both DISPLAY=localhost:0 and DISPLAY=0:0. This gave two identical
11 > logs, the second one, which didn't hang - it just failed to start and
12 > terminated.
13 >
14 > I'm trying to install and run the latest kernel - the current kernel has
15 > compiled the driver and firmware into the kernel, I've told the new
16 > kernel to build it as a module and not load the firmware into the
17 > kernel, but you've seen my post about genkernel ... where simply trying
18 > to tell genkernel to put the final initramfs somewhere other than the
19 > default causes fatal errors in the build ...
20 >
21 > Cheers,
22 > Wol
23
24 From the KDE Wayland web page ...
25
26 > Now switching back to the tty KWin is running on should show the
27 started window and allow to interact with it. Support for running KWin
28 on a tty is still in it's early stages. Bugs are to be expected and
29 there are known missing features. Please consider it only as a mode to
30 experiment with.
31
32 Hmmm .... so I need to be running from sddm or similar if I want it to
33 work ... which will open a complete 'nother can of worms ...
34
35 Cheers,
36 Wol