From: AGagliardi <a.g@×××××.it>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] advice about Gentoo (Oracle, Java, VMWare...)
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 17:47:24
1 Il 26/01/2012 13:05, Mihamina Rakotomandimby ha scritto:
2 > Context
3 > - I admin a server for PHP and Java Web developers
4 > - I have to run a Gentoo host which have LXC guests (also Gentoo-only).
5 > - About the LXC guests
6 > -- 1 LXC guest with PHP4 (with custom ./configure options)
7 > -- 1 LXC guest with PHP 5.2 (with custom ./configure options)
8 > -- 1 LXC guest with PHP 5.3 (with custom ./configure options)
9 > -- 1 LXC guest with Tomcat + Oracle + Oracle's Java
10 > - I'll also need to host several ready to boot VMWare Windows VM images
11 > (containing IE6, for compatibility tests): I guess I'll have to
12 > install a VMWare server
13 > - I *only* want to install with the distribution packaging tool.
14 >
15 > Is Gentoo a good choice? I think yes because:
16 > - Installing PHP4, PHP5.2 is just about unmasking and install
17 > - Installing VMWare server is easy
18 >
19 > But...
20 > - Installing Oracle's Java is not so easy: http://goo.gl/tbBFW
21
22 I love Gentoo but why not PROXMOX VR (2.0) as virtualization backend
23 (kvm and vm)
24
25 kvm as virtualization system (uses vmware images)
26 openvz as containers of different os (gentoo, centos, etc)
27
28 you will not have problems in mantain host system just guests
29 vmware-server seems to be disappeard from gentoo tree and trust me it's
30 terrible (also stops at 2.6.28 kernel due to big kernel lock)
31
32 andrea
33
34 andrea
38 Caselle da 1GB, trasmetti allegati fino a 3GB e in piu' IMAP, POP3 e SMTP autenticato? GRATIS solo con Email.it http://www.email.it/f
39
40 Sponsor:
41 Offerta speciale: a partire da soli Euro 18.90 puoi stampare le tue Foto su vera Tela Pittorica e creare Quadri fino a 80x50 cm!
42 Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=11453&d=28-1