From: Lasse Pouru <lasse.pouru@××××××××××××.fi>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Brother Printer AMD64
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2018 16:35:33
1 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > On Monday, 12 March 2018 15:29:28 GMT Nils Freydank wrote:
4 >> Hi,
5 >>
6 >> Am Montag, 12. März 2018, 13:54:18 CET schrieb siefke_listen@×××.de:
7 >> > Hello,
8 >> >
9 >> > I have a short question. Is it true that Brother Printer Drivers need
10 >> > a multilib System?
11 >>
12 >> unfortunately yes. Maybe specific drivers will work with no-multilib, but
13 >> most ones will compile and install and then silently fail due to some
14 >> missing 32bit userspace libs they need etc.
15 >>
16 >> > https://github.com/stefan-langenmaier/brother-overlay
17 >> >
18 >> > I found this overlay and it seem so that gcc without multilib not work.
19 >> >
20 >> > Is there a way to build the printer system as 32 bit, or does the whole
21 >> > system have to be built accordingly?
22 >>
23 >> You can try to setup a chroot or container (e.g. with LXC/LXD or systemd-
24 >> nspawn) for it, but I these would contain a small 32bit system, too.
25 >>
26 >> > Thank you & Nice Day
27 >> > Silvio
28 >>
29 >> I hope I could help a bit,
30 >> Nils
31 >
32 > I can confirm this. When I tried to install net-print/brother-hl3140cw-bin
33 > from the brother overlay on a amd64 no-multilib system it failed.
34 >
35 > I have not tried to install the same driver on a 32bit system, but could give
36 > it a go one of these days if it helps.
37
38 I guess if you only need multilib for this one package it would be
39 possible to compile it and its dependencies with the abi_x86_32 USE flag
40 instead of setting the ABI_X86 variable for the whole system?
41
42 - Lasse