From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Brother Printer AMD64
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2018 16:08:04
1 On Monday, 12 March 2018 15:29:28 GMT Nils Freydank wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > Am Montag, 12. März 2018, 13:54:18 CET schrieb siefke_listen@×××.de:
5 > > Hello,
6 > >
7 > > I have a short question. Is it true that Brother Printer Drivers need
8 > > a multilib System?
9 >
10 > unfortunately yes. Maybe specific drivers will work with no-multilib, but
11 > most ones will compile and install and then silently fail due to some
12 > missing 32bit userspace libs they need etc.
13 >
14 > > https://github.com/stefan-langenmaier/brother-overlay
15 > >
16 > > I found this overlay and it seem so that gcc without multilib not work.
17 > >
18 > > Is there a way to build the printer system as 32 bit, or does the whole
19 > > system have to be built accordingly?
20 >
21 > You can try to setup a chroot or container (e.g. with LXC/LXD or systemd-
22 > nspawn) for it, but I these would contain a small 32bit system, too.
23 >
24 > > Thank you & Nice Day
25 > > Silvio
26 >
27 > I hope I could help a bit,
28 > Nils
29
30 I can confirm this. When I tried to install net-print/brother-hl3140cw-bin
31 from the brother overlay on a amd64 no-multilib system it failed.
32
33 I have not tried to install the same driver on a 32bit system, but could give
34 it a go one of these days if it helps.
37 Regards,
38 Mick