From: Ian Zimmerman <itz@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: ntp-client slows down the boot process
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2019 05:13:54
1 On 2019-07-27 01:27, Grant Edwards wrote:
2
3 > > By the way does "rc_parallel" really makes a difference?
4 >
5 > <cynic-mode>
6 > Yes. It guarantees that when you do have boot problems, you'll never
7 > be able to figure out the real problem.
8 > </cynic-mode>
9 >
10 > Having more parallel boot operations used to be one of the
11 > "advantages" touted by some pro-systemd people. I always thought it
12 > sounded like a horrible idea and an excellent reason to stick with
13 > openrc.
14
15 Well, to play the anti-$DEITY advocate, you may also say that
16 parallelizing helps you discover bugs in the dependencies that you
17 otherwise never would.
18
19 I have run fedora with systemd for a while, and I was able to make the
20 boot wicked fast. But it wasn't automatic, not due to systemd itself
21 but due to packages like NetworkManager doing incredibly wasteful
22 things by default.
25 Please don't Cc: me privately on mailing lists and Usenet,
26 if you also post the followup to the list or newsgroup.
27 To reply privately _only_ on Usenet and on broken lists
28 which rewrite From, fetch the TXT record for no-use.mooo.com.