From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Firefox 3.5 without changing entire system to ~arch?
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 22:28:57
1 Mark Knecht writes:
2
3 > On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 11:22 AM, Marcus Wanner <marcusw@×××.net> wrote:
4 > <SNIP>
5 >
6 > > Thank you, I added firefox and xulrunner to package.keywords and that
7 > > did the trick.
8
9 > You might want to periodically run eix-test-obsolete -d to see if the
10 > two packages get marked stable before some other new ~arch version
11 > comes out. If that happens, and it often does in my experience, then
12 > you can remove the two packages from portage.keywords and you're back
13 > to running stable.
14
15 When I need to unmask something in package.keywords, I prefer to put the
16 package along with its version number in it. I leave out the trailing -rN,
17 and start with ~ instead of =, which means that minor revision updates
18 (increasing the -rN) which often are security fixes are also matched.
19 Talking about firefox, I just added these two lines before I replied to this
20 thread some hours ago:
21
22 ~www-client/mozilla-firefox-3.5.3
23 ~net-libs/xulrunner-1.9.1.4
24
25 When a newer ~arch xulrunner enters the portage tree, it will not be
26 upgraded.
27
28 There are also some packages which I like to be always the new version, so I
29 leave out the version number. firefox could be such an application. But for
30 everything I have to unmask additionally, I add the version numbers.
31
32 I use eix-test-obsolete once in a while in order to clean this of redundant
33 entries.
34
35 > In general I tend to have 4 or 5 packages in package.keywords at any
36 > given time. I don't have too much trouble. Watch out if the list
37 > starts getting large though as things get messy and you'll find
38 > yourself doing more updates than maybe you want to be doing.
39
40 Oh, my package.keywords is quite large, with about 50 entries. Oh, and the
41 300 entries for KDE 4.3.
42
43 Wonko