From: "Sebastian Beßler" <sebastian@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] no libdri.so with ati-drivers-10.1
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 22:11:19
1 Am Montag 22 Februar 2010 16:17:06 schrieb Anthony Mutiso:
2
3 > I would really like to stay with the opensource radeonhd driver, but it
4 > looks like I have to give up dual-screen (:0.0, :0.1 setup) which I
5 > prefer for Gnome.
6 >
7 > So it would nice to still have a working ati-drivers setup until
8 > xf86-video-ati does it all.
9
10 Much luck for that.
11
12 I had spent a lot of time to get that working and now I use Xrandr ;-)
13
14 xf86-video-ati has better support for that then radeonhd but with both is
15 always the risk that it stops working after an update.
16 Oh and dual-head (first and foremost with open drivers) is broken with xorg-
17 server bigger 1.4 and smaller 1.7
18
19 Xrandr is no the new black and with that support for dual-screen layout is not
20 much supported and very low priorised.
21 There was/is a discussion running on the x11-mailinglist over that topic.
22 The core content from that is "bury the old style, prefer xrandr, let the WM
23 or DE handle the rest."
24
25 Xrandr isn't that bad but its not mature enough. There is much to do on
26 protocol side and on WM/DE side.
27
28 Greetings