From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] portage-2.2.0_alpha38 & --depclean
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2011 20:53:12
1 On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 1:33 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 <SNIP>
3 >>
4 >> #370295
5 >
6 > Zac responded (comment #21) to my post in that bug with quite a well-reasoned
7 > rationale. It makes interesting reading.
8
9 It was a good response.
10
11 One question left hanging for me goes like this:
12
13 I understand nano is a choice. Removing an editor like nano is 99.99%
14 safe. There's no way removing nano is going to cause a system to not
15 boot or be unable to do updates, so I remove it understanding (now)
16 about virtuals. On the other hand how does someone who's not educated
17 in booting or the internals of portage know that removing less
18 wouldn't cause a problem that stops a machine from booting or makes it
19 impossible to do updates?
20
21 Cheers,
22 Mark