From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] portage-2.2.0_alpha38 & --depclean
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2011 21:09:51
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 22:51 on Tuesday 07 June 2011, Mark Knecht did
2 opine thusly:
3
4 > On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 1:33 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
5 > wrote: <SNIP>
6 >
7 > >> #370295
8 > >
9 > > Zac responded (comment #21) to my post in that bug with quite a
10 > > well-reasoned rationale. It makes interesting reading.
11 >
12 > It was a good response.
13 >
14 > One question left hanging for me goes like this:
15 >
16 > I understand nano is a choice. Removing an editor like nano is 99.99%
17 > safe. There's no way removing nano is going to cause a system to not
18 > boot or be unable to do updates, so I remove it understanding (now)
19 > about virtuals. On the other hand how does someone who's not educated
20 > in booting or the internals of portage know that removing less
21 > wouldn't cause a problem that stops a machine from booting or makes it
22 > impossible to do updates?
23
24 There is always an expectation of the minimum understanding needed to be able
25 to use a technical product at all. The use of less and what to do if you don't
26 have it falls fair and square into the "you really should already know that to
27 use Gentoo" category.
28
29 This isn't elitist, it's a technical fact. You have to set the bar somewhere
30 and there's nothing wrong with that.
34 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com