From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] portage-2.2.0_alpha38 & --depclean
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2011 21:41:35
1 On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 2:07 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Apparently, though unproven, at 22:51 on Tuesday 07 June 2011, Mark Knecht did
3 > opine thusly:
4 >
5 >> On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 1:33 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
6 >> wrote: <SNIP>
7 >>
8 >> >> #370295
9 >> >
10 >> > Zac responded (comment #21) to my post in that bug with quite a
11 >> > well-reasoned rationale. It makes interesting reading.
12 >>
13 >> It was a good response.
14 >>
15 >> One question left hanging for me goes like this:
16 >>
17 >> I understand nano is a choice. Removing an editor like nano is 99.99%
18 >> safe. There's no way removing nano is going to cause a system to not
19 >> boot or be unable to do updates, so I remove it understanding (now)
20 >> about virtuals. On the other hand how does someone who's not educated
21 >> in booting or the internals of portage know that removing less
22 >> wouldn't cause a problem that stops a machine from booting or makes it
23 >> impossible to do updates?
24 >
25 > There is always an expectation of the minimum understanding needed to be able
26 > to use a technical product at all. The use of less and what to do if you don't
27 > have it falls fair and square into the "you really should already know that to
28 > use Gentoo" category.
29 >
30 > This isn't elitist, it's a technical fact. You have to set the bar somewhere
31 > and there's nothing wrong with that.
32
33 Hi Alan,
34 While I agree about setting the bar somewhere I think you sidestep
35 answering the real question.
36
37 I have no problem with saying someone needs to understand what less
38 does. less isn't important. It's just the example at hand today. The
39 'problem' that I'm trying to get closer to answering is how does
40 anyone other than a Gentoo dev, assuming some reasonable amount of
41 effort, know that less isn't called by some script somewhere during
42 the init process? How does one come to understand that maybe less is
43 just as import as python is to the emerge process? (and I know it
44 isn't...)
45
46 What I didn't like about this issue popping up yesterday is that it
47 altered the idea that average users never touch anything in @system.
48 Iin fact, TTBOMK I've never in 11 or 12 years of running Gentoo ever
49 done an emerge -C on a @system package until this morning when I
50 removed nano.
51
52 Again, I don't disagree at all with your comments.
53
54 - Mark