From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] portage-2.2.0_alpha38 & --depclean
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2011 23:12:01
1 On Tue, 7 Jun 2011 14:39:34 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
2
3 > What I didn't like about this issue popping up yesterday is that it
4 > altered the idea that average users never touch anything in @system.
5 > Iin fact, TTBOMK I've never in 11 or 12 years of running Gentoo ever
6 > done an emerge -C on a @system package until this morning when I
7 > removed nano.
8
9 That's the point though, nano is not a system package, it is not needed
10 for Gentoo to be usable. You need an editor, but it does not have to be
11 nano, that is simply the default if the user makes no other choice.
12
13 Forcing nano into @system goes against the whole idea of using virtuals
14 to specify required functionality, rather than requiring a specific
15 program.
19 Neil Bothwick
20
21 0 and 1. Now what could be so hard about that?