From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Running "hddtemp" with plain user rights
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 15:01:21
1 Alexander Skwar schreef:
2 > Hello!
3 >
4 > I'd like to be able to run "hddtemp" <http://www.guzu.net/linux/hddtemp.php>
5 > with "plain" user rights - ie. not with root
6 > rights. What's to be done, so that this is
7 > possible?
8 >
9 <snip>
10 >
11 > As you can see, I get the error message "Permission
12 > denied" when I run "hddtemp /dev/hda". As you can
13 > further see, the group disk has read-/write-access on
14 > the device file. And lastly, you can see that my user
15 > is member of the group "disk".
16 >
17 > Why do I get the Permission denied error message? And
18 > what's to be done?
19
20 Isn't hddtemp a daemon (therfore executable)? Does the group have the
21 right to execute hddtemp?
22
23 Just an idea,
24 Holly