From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Configuring fbsplash
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 14:33:55
1 Grimaldy Soto schreef:
2 <snip>
3 > i've emerge splashutils and also livecd 2005.1 bootsplash theme the
4 > which is the one that i wanna configure, i did #mount /boot later
5 > this Create an initramfs image for fbsplash: # splash_geninitramfs -v
6 > -g /boot/fbsplash-emergence-1024x768 -r 1024x768 emergence
7 >
8 > and also this
9 >
10 > # splash_geninitramfs -v -g /etc/fbsplash-livecd-2005.1 -r 1024x768
11 > livecd-2005.1
12 >
13 > But whichever command do i used i received the same error or warning
14 >
15 > o creating directory structure.. o copying /sbin/splash_helper.. o
16 > copying themes.. - emergence warning: config file for theme
17 > 'emergence' , resolution 1024x768 does not exist! o creating
18 > initramfs image.. ----------------- o creating directory structure..
19 > o copying /sbin/splash_helper.. o copying themes.. - default
20 > warning: config file for theme 'default' , resolution 1024x768 does
21 > not exist! o creating initramfs image..
24 > I have in /etc/splash the folder livecd-2005.1 and the emergance too
25
26 First of all, I think your command is incorrect:
27
28 splash_geninitramfs --help
29 splash_geninitramfs/splashutils-1.1.9.10
30 Usage: splash_geninitramfs [options] [--all|theme ...]
31
32 Main operation modes:
33 -g, --generate=IMG generate an initramfs image with all necessary files
34 -a, --append=IMG append a theme and helper files (if necessary)
35 to an initramfs image
36 -c, --copy=DIR copy all necessary files into the specified directory;
37 DIR should point to the root directory of an initramfs
38 -h, --help show this help message
41 -r, --res=RES copy data for specific resolutions only; RES is a
42 comma-separated list of the resolutions for which the
43 images
44 are to be copied
45 -v, --verbose verbose output
46 --no8bpp ignore 8bpp images (can save a lot of space)
47
48 basically, you're saying
49
50 (run) splash_geninitramfs (and that program should) -v (erbosely)
51 -g(enerate an image called) /etc/fbsplash-livecd-2005.1 (which isn't
52 going to do you much good, in /etc, but whatever; least of our problems
53 at this point, but it should be in /boot, since this is the initramfs
54 itself, not where its looking for the files to be included in the
55 initramfs) (at a) -r(esolution of) 1024x768 (using the theme files for
56 the theme) livecd-2005.1
57
58 What is of concern to me is that splash_geninitramfs cannot find the
59 theme files to create the initramfs. Obviously, the splash will not work
60 in this case, because there's no theme for splash to display (the
61 initramfs is not correctly created).
62
63 So the first thing we need to know is why that might be.
64
65 What version of splashutils are you using? Is this an upgrade from a
66 pre-1.0 version?
67
68 Did you actually install the correct theme package:
69
70 * media-gfx/splash-themes-livecd
71
72 Available versions: 2004.3 2005.0 2005.1
73 Installed: 2005.1
74 Homepage: http://www.gentoo.org/
78 or did you install the incorrect theme package
79
80 * media-gfx/bootsplash-themes-livecd
81 Available versions: 2004.0 2004.1 2004.2-r4 ~2004.3-r1
82 Installed: none
83 Homepage: http://www.gentoo.org/
87 It's also possible that you have a kernel problem (incompletely
88 configured)-- while you clearly need framebuffer support, there is also
89 a setting
92 # Logo configuration
93 #
94 # CONFIG_LOGO is not set
95 # CONFIG_BACKLIGHT_LCD_SUPPORT is not set
96 ==>CONFIG_FB_SPLASH=y
97
98 which only becomes available if all other related settings are correctly
99 set... but it's possible that splash_geninitramfs may not work correctly
100 if it is not set (or not available).
101
102 What I would try is
103
104 1. unmerge all splash theme packages;
105
106 2. delete all leftover theme folders left in /etc/splash
107
108 3. check my /usr/src/linux symlink and make sure it was pointing to the
109 correct kernel;
110
111 4. re-emerge splashutils
112
113 5. emerge the theme packages again
114
115 6. set the 'default' symlink in /etc/splash to point to my preferred
116 theme if not emergence.
117
118 Then I would start with the http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_fbsplash and go
119 through it step by step, making sure that my kernel config was correct,
120 and recompiling the kernel if it was not. If I recompiled the kernel, I
121 would also re-emerge splashutils (again) so that it was compiled against
122 the correctly compiled kernel rather than the incorrectly compiled one).
123
124 The Wiki instructions do work, and they are to the best of my knowledge,
125 quite complete (which is why they work).
126
127 Your error output suggests that something on your system is improperly
128 installed (the idea that splashutils can't find its own theme files is a
129 strong indication), so the best thing to do would be to start "clean"
130 (or as clean as possible) and proceed carefully from there.
131
132 Hope this helps,
133 Holly
134 --