From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Installing Gentoo: Grub, alternate GNU/Linux system on another partition
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2011 23:05:07
1 On Mon, 5 Dec 2011 16:49:21 -0500
2 Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > > You can only have one primary bootloader, either grub from Gentoo or
5 > > grub2 from Mint, it cannot be both. But it looks like that's what
6 > > you do have. Seeing as you intend to drop Mint eventually, you must
7 > > uninstall grub2 and all it's files from Mint.
8 >
9 > Not *exactly* true.
10 >
11 > Grub can chainload any bootloader that's visible to BIOS.
12
13 Yes, you are correct, this can be done.
14
15 I figured I wouldn't mention it as it gets confusing. Selecting
16 Gentoo from grub should load Gentoo. Selecting Mint from grub and
17 finding ... grub ... is just wierd. Few things baffle users as much as
18 that. Yes, been there done that :-)
19
20 > At minimum,
21 > that means you could have grub on /dev/sda chainload grub on /dev/sdb.
22 > I'm uncertain if it means you could chainload a bootloader stored in
23 > the first 512 bytes of /dev/sda8, but I suspect so.
24
25 That works too, I once had a system set up just that way. The
26 maintenance reduced me to tears
29 Alan McKinnnon
30 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com