From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Installing Gentoo: Grub, alternate GNU/Linux system on another partition
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2011 21:51:20
1 On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 4:34 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Dual boot scenarios get tricky, it is vital to assume nothing. You left
4 > out a lot of info, so I have to make some reasonable assumptions. Reply
5 > with corrections if we're going to wrong route.
6 >
7 > You can only have one primary bootloader, either grub from Gentoo or
8 > grub2 from Mint, it cannot be both. But it looks like that's what you
9 > do have. Seeing as you intend to drop Mint eventually, you must
10 > uninstall grub2 and all it's files from Mint.
11
12 Not *exactly* true.
13
14 Grub can chainload any bootloader that's visible to BIOS. At minimum,
15 that means you could have grub on /dev/sda chainload grub on /dev/sdb.
16 I'm uncertain if it means you could chainload a bootloader stored in
17 the first 512 bytes of /dev/sda8, but I suspect so.
20 > Your supplied grub.conf will only work if you have a boot -> . symlink
21 > present on /dev/sda1. Gentoo normally does this for you.
22
23 So do most distros I've touched. Just an FYI.
24
25 I think your instructions will work fine for him, though. I was going
26 to offer some grub1 stanzas, but I wasn't sure if real_root was
27 necessary.
30 :wq