From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Installing Gentoo: Grub, alternate GNU/Linux system on another partition
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2011 22:00:55
1 On 2011-12-05, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 >> You can only have one primary bootloader, either grub from Gentoo or
4 >> grub2 from Mint, it cannot be both. But it looks like that's what you
5 >> do have. Seeing as you intend to drop Mint eventually, you must
6 >> uninstall grub2 and all it's files from Mint.
7 >
8 > Not *exactly* true.
9
10 It is for the usual definition of "primary bootloader" as the one that
11 is loaded and run by the BIOS.
12
13 > Grub can chainload any bootloader that's visible to BIOS. At minimum,
14 > that means you could have grub on /dev/sda
15
16 (primary bootloader)
17
18 > chainload grub on /dev/sdb
19
20 (secondary bootloader).
21
22 > I'm uncertain if it means you could chainload a bootloader stored in
23 > the first 512 bytes of /dev/sda8, but I suspect so.
24
25 You're right, you can. Though to get grub2 to install on a partition
26 like /dev/sda8 instead of in the MBR you have to use the --force
27 option or you'll get some incomprehensable error message when you try
28 to do the 'setup' command.
31 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! ! The land of the
32 at rising SONY!!
33 gmail.com