From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Installing Gentoo: Grub, alternate GNU/Linux system on another partition
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2011 21:36:19
1 On Mon, 5 Dec 2011 12:23:28 -0800
2 "Alan E. Davis" <lngndvs@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > I'm giving Gentoo another try, having been using Ubuntu for quite a
5 > while, and more recently Mint. I would like to be able to access
6 > Mint until the Gentoo system is working as I'd like it.
7 >
8 > I have gotten through the install, for the most part, up to grub. I
9 > can see how to edit the grub.conf file for my Gentoo partition.
10 > However, it isn't clear to me from the examples how to write a
11 > grub.conf entry for Mint's root (/) partition, on /dev/sda8. I am
12 > asking for advice on writing the grub.conf file.
13 >
14 > Here are the various partitions involved:
15 >
16 > Gentoo:
17 > /boot /dev/sda1
18 > / /dev/sda2
19 >
20 > Mint (/boot is not separate)
21 > / /dev/sda8
22 >
23 > The Mint kernel is using an initramfs, while I have manually
24 > configured the kernel on Gentoo, at least for now.
25 >
26 > Grub 2 is not transparent to me. The kernel is:
27 >
28 > /boot/vmlinuz-3.0.0-13-generic
29 >
30 > the initrd-img file is:
31 >
32 > /boot/initrd.img-3.0.0-13-generic
33 >
34 > My grub.conf file for gentoo would look like this:
35 >
36 > ###########
37 > default 0
38 > timeout 30
39 > #splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
42 > title Gentoo Original
43 > root (hd0,0)
44 > kernel /boot/kernel-3.0.6-gentoo-r1 root=/dev/sda2
45 > ###########
48 > I have a few other questions of a more or less minor nature. Perhaps
49 > better to ask them separately.
50 >
51 > Alan Davis
52
53 Dual boot scenarios get tricky, it is vital to assume nothing. You left
54 out a lot of info, so I have to make some reasonable assumptions. Reply
55 with corrections if we're going to wrong route.
56
57 You can only have one primary bootloader, either grub from Gentoo or
58 grub2 from Mint, it cannot be both. But it looks like that's what you
59 do have. Seeing as you intend to drop Mint eventually, you must
60 uninstall grub2 and all it's files from Mint.
61
62 Your supplied grub.conf will only work if you have a boot -> . symlink
63 present on /dev/sda1. Gentoo normally does this for you.
64
65 For Mint you probably need something like this:
66
67 title Mint
68 root (hd0,7)
69 kernel /vmlinuz-<whatever_mint_uses> root=/dev/sda8 ro quiet splash
70 <any_other_mint_params
71 initrd /initrd-<whatever_mint_uses>
74 You can pick up the correct kernel and initrd arguments
75 from /boot/grub/grub.cfg on /dev/sda8 by looking in the menuentry
76 sections.
80 Alan McKinnnon
81 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com