From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Boot disk "renames" /dev/md6 to /dev/md127.
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2015 22:56:56
1 Hello again, Rich (and everybody else who answered me).
2
3 On Tue, Feb 03, 2015 at 08:36:27AM -0500, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 > On Tue, Feb 3, 2015 at 8:14 AM, Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
5 > > So, what was it that chewed up my RAID configuration so badly that
6 > > /dev/md6 got renamed to /dev/md127? Can I change it back to /dev/md6,
7 > > somehow? Do I need to bother?
8
9 > I ran into similar issues a while back. In my case some of my arrays
10 > were using older metadata (which was required at the time to boot
11 > without an initramfs).
12
13 Older metadata being, presumably, 0.90? I have 0.90 too, also so that my
14 kernel will assemble my RAID root partition. I don't won't an initramfs
15 either.
16
17 > I suspect that either this metadata lacked the info needed for a boot
18 > CD to assign the same ID, or perhaps the ID I was using was already
19 > allocated somehow and the boot CD chose another one and wrote that ID
20 > to the metadata so that it stuck.
21
22 Something like this, yes. But the metadata MUST have contained
23 "/dev/md6" somewhere - how else could the kernel recreate the right
24 device?
25
26 > My solution was to move to using UUIDs or labels for everything and
27 > not relying on array numbering. This of course requires an initramfs
28 > - personally I've found Dracut to be the best one out there. It is
29 > just far less prone to breakage when some update causes stuff to move
30 > around like this.
31
32 But I don't want an initramfs. ;-) Specifying the root partition as
33 "/dev/md6" (or, now, "/dev/md127") also feels like the Right Thing.
34
35 Anyhow, I've reported this to bugs.gentoo.org as bug #539162. We'll see
36 what comes out of it.
37
38 > --
39 > Rich