From: Rumen Yotov <rumen@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Error on login: *** glibc detected *** double free or corruption...
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 06:10:16
1 Rennie deGraaf wrote:
2 > A few minutes ago, I discovered that I can't log into my firewall
3 >
4 > If I try SSH from inside, it gives me my login banner and immediately
5 > disconnects, without prompting for a password. This suggested to me that
6 > when trying to clean up the mess left by upgrading the shadow package
7 > yesterday (and first removing pam-login) as reccomended by a
8 > GLSA-200606-02, I left something incorrectly configured.
9 >
10 > If I try SSH from outside, the connection times out. I don't know why
11 > this happens - the iptables configuration should allow SSH connections
12 > from outside, and the timing suggests a problem before reaching the
13 > login or pam code.
14 >
15 > If I try to log in via a virtual TTY on a serial port, I get the message
16 > "*** glibc detected *** double free or corruption (!prev): 0x142e1cc8
17 > ***" (the address varies) after entering a username, but before entering
18 > a password. This suggests a problem with either the login or pam
19 > software; I can't see how a configuration error could cause this.
20 >
21 > If I try to log in via the system console, I get the same error as with
22 > the serial line.
23 >
24 > My firewall is running a tightly locked-down minimal install of Gentoo
25 > 2005.1 with the hardened kernel and toolkit and all relavant security
26 > updates applied. I think that the kernel is 2.6.11-hardened-r15. Other
27 > than my inability to log in, it seems to be working - the DNS server is
28 > still responding, and it still seems to be forwarding packets correctly.
29 > The system has been up since some time in late august or early
30 > september 2005.
31 >
32 > I guess that the only way to get into the system and try to fix it is to
33 > reboot into single-user mode, but before I take it down for maintenance,
34 > I'd like to know if I'm dealing with a software problem or a
35 > configuration problem (since with my firewall down, I will have no way
36 > to look up more information from the Internet). Does anyone know what
37 > this error signifies in this context, or have any suggestions on how to
38 > recover?
39 >
40 > Thanks,
41 > Rennie deGraaf
42 >
43 Hi,
44 Just reboot and try again.
45 IIRC the solution was to rebuild "openssh" after the new "shadow"
46 package within the same ssh-session (assuming that's the way you do it).
47 HTH.Rumen

smime.p7s application/x-pkcs7-signature