From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: gcc 3.4.6 vs. 4.1.1
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 00:25:20
1 Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2007-02-14, Norberto Bensa <nbensa@×××.net> wrote:
5 >>> I do use Qemu,
6 >>>
7 >> Me too but:
8 >>
9 >> $ emerge --info
10 >> Portage 2.1.2-r9 (default-linux/x86/2006.1/desktop, gcc-4.1.1, glibc-2.5-r0,
11 >> 2.6.19-gentoo-r5 i686)
12 >> You can use gcc-config to switch to 3.4, compile app-emulation/qemu-softmmu
13 >> and then swith to 4.1 again.
16 > I know -- that's what I do now (except the other way around)
17 > for packages that require gcc 4. I just figured I wait to do
18 > the big switch/recompile until I can get rid of 3.4 completely.
19 >
20 > I'll probably just do a clean reinstall at that point. When I
21 > switched gcc from 3.2 to 3.3, it would have been a lot less
22 > work to just re-install from scratch.
26 When I switched a while back, I found a script to do the recompile on
27 the forums that worked very well. It is better than doing a system
28 twice then a world on top of that. I have a copy of the script if you
29 would like to use it but it is on the forums somewhere. I may can find
30 it. I think it is in the documentation tips and tricks section, I think.
31
32 I haven't had any trouble after my upgrade. I guess it depends on what
33 you have installed though from what I have read in your posts.
34
35 Dale
36
40 www.myspace.com/dalek1967