From: Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: gcc 3.4.6 vs. 4.1.1
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 00:31:15
1 On 2007-02-15, Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net> wrote:
2
3 >> I know -- that's what I do now (except the other way around)
4 >> for packages that require gcc 4. I just figured I wait to do
5 >> the big switch/recompile until I can get rid of 3.4 completely.
6 >>
7 >> I'll probably just do a clean reinstall at that point. When I
8 >> switched gcc from 3.2 to 3.3, it would have been a lot less
9 >> work to just re-install from scratch.
10 >
11 > When I switched a while back, I found a script to do the recompile on
12 > the forums that worked very well. It is better than doing a system
13 > twice then a world on top of that. I have a copy of the script if you
14 > would like to use it but it is on the forums somewhere. I may can find
15 > it. I think it is in the documentation tips and tricks section, I think.
16
17 I think I've seen it. The last time I around I followed a
18 script in a HOWTO using revdep-rebuild, and I ran into a lot of
19 problems during the re-compile: there were about a half dozen
20 packages that wouldn't rebuild. Getting things going again
21 required about two days of masking different versions of
22 different packages (each of which required masking a bunch of
23 dependencies to get compatible versions of everything).
26 Grant Edwards grante Yow! Not SENSUOUS... only
27 at "FROLICSOME"... and in
28 visi.com need of DENTAL WORK... in
29 PAIN!!!
32 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list