From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: gcc 3.4.6 vs. 4.1.1
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 00:57:07
1 Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2007-02-15, Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net> wrote:
5 >>> I know -- that's what I do now (except the other way around)
6 >>> for packages that require gcc 4. I just figured I wait to do
7 >>> the big switch/recompile until I can get rid of 3.4 completely.
8 >>>
9 >>> I'll probably just do a clean reinstall at that point. When I
10 >>> switched gcc from 3.2 to 3.3, it would have been a lot less
11 >>> work to just re-install from scratch.
12 >>>
13 >> When I switched a while back, I found a script to do the recompile on
14 >> the forums that worked very well. It is better than doing a system
15 >> twice then a world on top of that. I have a copy of the script if you
16 >> would like to use it but it is on the forums somewhere. I may can find
17 >> it. I think it is in the documentation tips and tricks section, I think.
20 > I think I've seen it. The last time I around I followed a
21 > script in a HOWTO using revdep-rebuild, and I ran into a lot of
22 > problems during the re-compile: there were about a half dozen
23 > packages that wouldn't rebuild. Getting things going again
24 > required about two days of masking different versions of
25 > different packages (each of which required masking a bunch of
26 > dependencies to get compatible versions of everything).
30 I had a few that wouldn't compile, not because of the script though, but
31 I just skipped those and fixed them later on. I didn't have any more
32 trouble than I did when I did a emerge world without the script before
33 though. I'm not sure I ever made it through a emerge world without
34 something failing. I have a lot of packages so something has to go
35 wrong somewhere.
36
37 Dale
38