From: Dan Cowsill <danthehat@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Short history in terminal (without X)
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 17:11:36
1 On 2/15/07, Roman Naumann <sapiens.dyslexia@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > does someone know, how to increase the "history-buffer's size" of the
5 > terminal? (and I mean the pure terminal, without an X-Server)
6 > I mean, if I use some commands producing plenty of output, I cannot scroll to
7 > the beginning of the text quite often, because the history buffer is to
8 > small.
9 >
10 > Another inconvenient thing is that the buffer seems to "forget" everything
11 > except the last screen of text, if I switch to another terminal. (alt + F2
12 > for instance).
13 >
14 > How can I make the history buffer larger, or - if possible - set it
15 > infinitely large. (Just as the "Konsole" of KDE.)
16 >
17 > Thanks,
18 >
19 > Roman Naumann.
23 I don't know about making it "infinitely" large, but you can have a
24 scrollable console history with vesafb (probably with other
25 framebuffers aswell, but I've only had experience with vesafb). Check
26 out /usr/src/linux/Documentation/fb/vesafb.txt for more information.
27
28 You'll have to compile your kernel with vesafb, and run the vga kernel
29 argument to set the size of the console. I believe there is some sort
30 of kernel option (that you should be able to find with a minimum of
31 searching) that sets the size of the buffer in bytes...
32
33 From there, it is as easy as pressing shift-pgup and shift-pgdown to
34 scroll through your buffer.
35
36 Hope this helps.
37 --